After more than 3 years of filing for protection of geographical indications in Japan, today, October 7, the Japanese Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries officially granted a geographical indication protection certificate to Binh Thuan dragon fruit.
This is the second agricultural product of Vietnam after Luc Ngan litchi to be granted a Geographical Indication Certificate in Japan. Information has just been announced by the Ministry of Science and Technology tonight.
According to Mr. Dinh Huu Phi, Director of the National Office of Intellectual Property (Ministry of Science and Technology), Japan is famous for being a difficult market. Registering the geographical indication of Binh Thuan dragon fruit in Japan is extremely complicated.
Binh Thuan dragon fruit becomes the second agricultural product of Vietnam to be granted a geographical indication in Japan
The National Office of Intellectual Property has provided support through two ways: completing the geographical indication protection registration dossier to fully meet the provisions of Japanese law and increasing political influence to speed up the process. this progress.
“The process took more than three years and it was really a difficult process. In addition to the difference in the law on protection of geographical indications between the two countries, the Binh Thuan dragon fruit dossier faces many difficulties in terms of technical specifications of the application and difficulties in organizational management capacity. geographical indications”, Mr. Phi said.
According to the Ministry of Science and Technology, registration of a geographical indication can be said as a “passport” to enter the Japanese market in particular and the world in general. The grant of geographical indication registration means affirming the prestige of Binh Thuan dragon fruit in the Japanese market, opening up many new opportunities for the export and consumption of Binh Thuan dragon fruit in many different markets. especially in fastidious markets (Europe, Korea, New Zealand…).
“In addition to protecting trademarks for agricultural products, avoiding being “stolen” when going to foreign markets, products bearing geographical indications in Japan often have a higher selling price than usual and are sold by people here. They are favored because they understand that these products have been guaranteed by the Japanese Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, so they will trust and be more willing to buy those products,” Phi said.
According to a representative of Binh Thuan Provincial People’s Committee, the province has assigned the Department of Science and Technology to coordinate with relevant departments and agencies to support professional associations in registering for protection of geographical indications for dragon fruit. This has raised the reputation, increased the competitiveness of the product; contribute to improve product value, increase profit value, promote the development of Binh Thuan dragon fruit products.
Currently, there are 5 units of Binh Thuan that are capable of supplying dragon fruits meeting technical standards for agricultural products for export and are also 5 places expected to supply dragon fruits to Japan, including Ham Tan districts. , Ham Thuan Nam, Ham Thuan Bac, Bac Binh and Phan Thiet City.
Binh Thuan dragon fruit was registered by the National Office of Intellectual Property of origin of goods on November 15, 2006 and on July 8, 2011, Binh Thuan Provincial People’s Committee issued a Decision with Regulations on management and use of instructions. geographical “Binh Thuan”.
Binh Thuan dragon fruit is consumed on the market mainly in the form of fresh fruit and a few are processed products such as: dragon fruit juice, dragon fruit wine, dried dragon fruit, dried plastic …
However, due to selling fresh fruit, which cannot be preserved for a long time, the consumption of dragon fruit is currently facing many difficulties, the domestic market only consumes about 15% of the output, the remaining 85% is for export.
Of these, the amount of dragon fruit exported officially is about 2-3%, the rest is sold across the border to Chinese traders or sold to export enterprises outside the province.