Vietnam expects to export fresh fruit to the US

The United States is Vietnam’s largest fruit import market, ranking second after China. The United States is also a market with very strong fruit consumption demand, 12 million tons/year, so this is one of the big potentials for our country’s fruit…

Vietnam expects to export fresh fruit to the US

Recently, at the headquarters of the Ministry of Industry and Trade, Deputy Minister Do Thang Hai received a delegation of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) led by Ms. Jenifer Lester Moffitt, Deputy Minister in charge of Marketing and Regulatory Programs and Ms. Alexis Taylor, Deputy Head of Trade and Foreign Affairs. Mr. Do Thang Hai emphasized: The United States is one of Vietnam’s most important partners, therefore, Vietnam wants the two sides to maintain stable economic and trade relations and develop further. Comprehensive partners go into depth, substantive.

The Deputy Minister of Industry and Trade also highly appreciated the efforts of the two countries in implementing the commitments in the Action Plan towards a harmonious and sustainable trade balance over the past time, promoting market opening. solve problems and obstacles in bilateral economic and trade relations on the basis of objectivity and fairness.

Regarding trade in agricultural products, Deputy Minister Do Thang Hai suggested that USDA prioritize promoting the approval process of irradiation facilities to facilitate the export of fresh fruits and canned agricultural products of Vietnam. Vietnam to the United States.

In particular, strengthen the sharing of experience in policy development, related law enforcement, especially in investigating illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing activities.

From October 2022, Vietnam has 7 types of fresh fruit allowed to import into the US: Grapefruit, mango, longan, litchi, dragon fruit, rambutan and breast milk. Some other fruits such as coconuts and durians are still exported to the United States, but as frozen products. Currently, production of fresh fruit in the United States meets 70% of demand, the remaining 30% is imported. This is a big space for Vietnamese fruit.

On the US side, Deputy Minister Jenifer Lester Moffitt and Deputy Minister Alexis Taylor agreed with the view of the Ministry of Industry and Trade of Vietnam, suggesting that the two sides continue to promote discussions on the issue of market opening for fruits. that the United States has proposed, creating favorable conditions for a number of plant products, seeds and animal feed to be imported into Vietnam. In addition, the US Department of Agriculture delegation also expressed its desire to promote cooperation in the field of biofuels and ethanol with Vietnam in the near future.

Ethanol blended fuels have been used in the United States since 2006, 2007. In the United States, more than 97% of gasoline products contain 10% ethanol (E10) and will soon sell mixed-ratio fuels. higher ethanol such as E15, E85. E10 gasoline reduces deposits/precipitation in the engine and fuel system. Ethanol mixed in gasoline reduces pollutants including carbon monoxide, hydrocarbon emissions and dust particles, reduces the benzene content, the sulfur content of gasoline, and significantly reduces the greenhouse gas emissions of gasoline (GHG).

The United States is currently the largest ethanol producer in the world with a capacity of 60 billion liters per year. The United States is also the largest exporter of ethanol with over 5 billion liters per year.

Deputy Minister Do Thang Hai also discussed Vietnam’s orientation on the issue of using biofuels in the coming time; suggested that the two sides should promote further cooperation in the fields of ethanol, promoting sustainable energy transition in Vietnam.