Vietnamese vegetables and fruits are encroaching on the US market and reducing dependence on China

In the first 5 months of the year, vegetable and fruit exports to China reached US$722 million, down 31% over the same period in 2021. In contrast, Vietnam increased its exports of vegetables and fruits to markets such as the US, Japan, and Korea. National…

According to the Import-Export Department (Ministry of Industry and Trade), in May, the export value of vegetables and fruits reached US$258 million, down 23% compared to May 2021. In the first 5 months of the year, Vietnam’s fruit and vegetable export value reached 1.4 billion USD, down 16% compared to the same period in 2021.

 (Source: Import-Export Department )

In which, the export of vegetables and fruits to the main market, China, continued to decline sharply in the first 5 months of the year, reaching 722 million USD, down 31% compared to the same period in 2021.

This is also the main factor reducing the overall export value of the fruit and vegetable industry in the first 5 months of the year because the export value to China accounted for 51% of the total export value of Vietnam’s vegetables and fruits.

However, it is a good sign when the structure of exporting vegetables and fruits to difficult markets is very clear such as the US, Korea, and Japan.

In which, the proportion of fruit and vegetable exports to the US market accounted for 7.6%, up 2.8 percentage points over the same period in 2021; South Korea accounted for 3.8%, up 1.6 percentage points and Japan accounted for 3.7%, up 1.1 percentage points.

These are all markets with strict standards for vegetables and fruits, so to export vegetables and fruits to these markets, Vietnam’s fruit and vegetable industry is expected to export to many other markets and make reduce dependence on the Chinese market.

Especially in the US market, the export potential of Vietnam’s vegetables and fruits is huge thanks to the population of 330 million people, high per capita income, and American consumers increasingly paying attention to the ingredients in vegetables and fruits. meal.

According to the US Department of Agriculture, the country has a large demand for fruit with a consumption of 12 million tons/year. Producing fresh fruit in the domestic market only meets 70% of the demand, the remaining 30% (equivalent to 3.6 million tons) must be imported. Therefore, the potential for Vietnam’s fruit industry to boost exports to this market is huge.

In order to promote exports to this market, the Plant Protection Department (MARD) recommends that Vietnam’s fruits must meet 3 main standards, namely the standard growing area and authorized by the US side to the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development. Plant Protection issues planting area codes; The packing factory must be granted a code by a US expert; Products must be irradiated at a factory with a standard code number.